[pct-l] Poison Oak/Ivy & Poodle-Dog Bush on the PCT

Ken Murray kmurray at dr.com
Wed Mar 13 20:26:12 CDT 2013

Melissa,

I'm a volunteer wilderness ranger and trail crew leader, mainly in the Sierra.... in fact, I'm going to spend a week working the PCT for the 7 miles north of the Kennedy Meadows Campground in just over a week.

One reason I like working in the Sierra is the LACK of Poison Oak (we have no Poison Ivy in the western states, only the east) up there above 4,000 feet. There is a lot on the west side of the range, in the lower regions. the PCT pretty much doesn't go there. I saw my first poodle brush plant last year 5 miles north of Kennedy meadows (I removed it). That's in 50+ years of backpacking up there.

Poison oak also likes and prefers a lot of water. Very often, it is where there is a stream crossing where you will see it at lower elevations. I doubt if you'd encounter it in the desert, but semi-desert is prime territory.

I have used all the prevention products for my winter activities on the westside, and they work to some degree, but are a hassle. If you wash with soap ASAP after a known exposure, you may prevent the outbreak.

Long clothing is a good idea, but of course, you are getting the oil on your clothing, instead of your skin, and it is sitting there ready to get you.

You CAN wear different clothing at different stages of your hike, and should think of doing so, just like some prefer different footwear.

As for removing the oil, soap and water works well, also rubbing alcohol.

Hope you feel well soon. The coast range is FILLED with PO!

Ken Murray, MD