[pct-l] Poison Oak/Ivy & Poodle-Dog Bush on the PCT

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Mar 14 08:13:09 CDT 2013

It does indeed look different and these pictures don't even show all
the different ways it looks: http://www.santabarbarahikes.com/gorp/
poisonoak/

When I was hiking Section O in Nor Cal I was hiking with this guy who
was paranoid about poison oak and freaking out over every bush on the
side of the trail. 99% of it was squaw bush which looks a lot like
poison oak. He dared me to rub it on my face because he didn't
believe me. I did. Squaw bush.

Poison oak likes lower elevations, below around 4000. You spend most
of the time above that in So Cal and where you are below that you are
in such an arid climate there's just hardly any poison oak at all.
It's hardly worth worrying about and it certainly won't end your hike
anyway.

Also, there are barely any bugs at all in So Cal, at least in the
season you'll be hiking in. All you folks who have never hiked in So
Cal are going to find out why so many people live here.

Diane