[pct-l] smoking on the trail

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Thu Mar 14 13:32:55 CDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Prapanna Smith
<prapanna.smith at gmail.com> wrote:
> Long ago, I saw a block of at least three or four ounces of hash on a table in a Ranger Station.  It belonged to the Ranger...

During my time climbing in Yosemite in the 70s and 80s, we discovered
that in the National Parks, at least in Yosemite, there were two types
of Rangers:

1) the guys with  forestry degrees from Humboldt State who loved the
outdoors, and primarily did the naturalist role, and were likely to
spark a doobie with you if you offered

2) the former Marine Corps MPs who couldn't get jobs with "real"
police departments because of anger management issues, who did the Law
Enforcement Officer role, and would just as soon rough you up and
throw you in jail as look at you, a legacy from the Stoneman Meadow
riot.

They both wore the same uniform, which made it difficult to tell them
apart from a distance, though the beard an longer hair on the former
helped.

This idea that "the Feds" are a uniform group of people who will all
treat you the same is really not very useful.