[pct-l] Smoking on the trail

Dan Jacobs youroldpaldan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 15:53:23 CDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Devon Taig <devon.taig at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I'm sure legally you're right Dan...It's just that it doesn't quite
> pass the "Mom test" - which is to say that my Mom picks up PCT hikers
> whenever she gets the chance - she does that because she is a nice person
> and assumes that you won't be breaking any laws yourself.  But if she knew
> you had non-medical pot in your backpack, she wouldn't stop. Not that she
> would likely find out (though I learned when I was 16 that she actually can
> smell as well as a bloodhound)...it's just something to think about...I
> don't really like the argument, "what you don't know won't hurt you".  A
> good percent of folks who will be picking up us backpackers this season
> aren't cool with it.
>
> River

I get that. They should make their beliefs known.

A ride is sort of a contract. Hitch hiker is looking for something,
driver offers them something, the two should be able to agree on the
terms of the deal. If the terms include "no illegal drugs", then that
should be spelled out ahead of time.

Can't two adults just be up front about the rules of sharing
something? If not, why not? Your mom or anyone else should just be
able to say "I would gladly give you a ride to (wherever), but I have
a firm rule of no illegal drugs in my car or around me. Please do not
accept a ride from me if you cannot follow this rule." Bang zoom,
conditions up front, and hopefully the two can happily agree on them.
If not, she can simply refuse to offer a ride, or the hitch hiker can
just say "thank you, but I'll wait for the next ride".

I don't find that difficult. Does anyone else?

Dan Jacobs
Washougal
--
"Loud motorcycle stereos save lives."