[pct-l] iPhone Mapping App

Jim Eagleton eagletonjim at aol.com
Sat Mar 16 15:28:14 CDT 2013

The iPhone is the way to go for Guthooks PCT specific app.  There may be an android version this year.

Lots of general iPhone gps Apps.  I have Gaia which is one of the better and at $20 more expensive apps.
  You need an app that downloads the maps at home.

In the real world you will want to turn off the cellular service, bluetooth, and wifi in the field to save batteries.  You may also want a backup battery/solar charger.

ATT lets you turn off cellular (you get that option with the SIM password on when turning the phone on.)
Reportedly, Verizon does not let you turn off the cellular without turning off the gps.  Unfortunately, Verizon has better coverage except for the lake near VVR (but not VVR itself.)

Rambler