[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 63, Issue 27

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 15:04:50 CDT 2013

Two Hints,  Don't seal the boxes if you have someone at home - as you can
make last minute additions of things you might want but can't readily find
on the trail.

Also when I've done this before I numbered each box 1 to whatever the last
one was and would just tell my supply person (wife) throw box Number 'X'
into the mail (or UPS).

I also had some extra/replacement gear in another box and I labeled each
piece of gear starting with A thru some other letter.  For example I had my
Ice axe, an extra stove, and extra set of Frogg Toggs, some mittens, some
socks, etc.  When I wanted some piece of gear added I'd just tell her add
Item 'C' to Box 'X' and Box X goes USPS.  That way she didn't have to
figure out what I was talking about - as to her my stove looked like on
old can that should be thrown out.

This way she new exactly what I wanted.  I had a small printout from a
spreadsheet so I new what box number was going where and how (USP USPS) and
another list of what I had labeled each gear item.

Bonus Hint: Let your supply person know that if they just happen to throw
some special treat (edible stuff or a nice note letting you know that you
are missing me) into the box I would be appreciated - things like some
candy, cookies, brownies, or any unusual food item work well.

PS:  I also send those missing you notes from the trails -  If I'm going to
a post office I'll send a thinking of you card, a letter, or a postcard.
Believe it or not you can actually write a nice letter in your sleeping bag
during the nights between town stops and mail it in town.  Today no one
gets letters much anymore so it actually comes across as something special
to the recipient.

Day-Late