[pct-l] Kickoff experiences

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 22:40:08 CDT 2013

I attended the kickoff in 2011 and I didn't even see one drunk person.
 Come to think of it, I don't remember even seeing alcohol of any kind.  I
didn't see any cigarettes of any kind, tobacco or weed.  If it's there,
it's pretty discreet.  Everyone was quiet and in their tents asleep by
9:30-10:00pm.  No night life here!  I enjoyed looking at all the Vendors
with all the light weight gear.  This ultra light stuff was all new to me.
 REI was my only experience with backpacking equipment.  The classes were
marvelous and gave out really good information.  Talking to all the people
there was useful.  Everyone had amusing anecdotes and trail lore.  I also
observed what things worked and what didn't for other people.  The kick off
is an amazing learning experience!