[pct-l] cell phone/internet coverage and apps for Windows phone

David Tamblyn surforcycle at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 11:12:45 CDT 2013

According to Apple support,  the iPhone  (my older 3GS) has a true GPS which works independently of cell towers. That's consistent with my experience on being on my boat with "no service" message (no cell Svc) but being able to use programs like Navionics to get my position. I assume the same would be true put in the back country as long as surrounding high Mtns and/or dense tree cover prevents the signal from connecting with the satellites.

Dave

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."

Sent from my iPhone