[pct-l] More efficient in the heat

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Mon Mar 18 13:14:50 CDT 2013

	Hi,  No But--Living up to your name, I see.

	I was just reporting what I felt was happening to me with the sweat
condition. I could walk faster up hills, but I sweated more that way,
so I lessened my pace. I don't remember drinking more or less before I
was heat acclimatized--it's been so long since I wasn't heat
acclimatized. I agree with the salt needs. I know I start sweating
faster than others, but seem to sweat less overall. When I am
backpacking with the people in my local backpacking group who don't
train as much as I do with a pack--they seem to sweat a lot more than
I do when they are actually out on the trail and they seem to drink a
lot more water, too.

	At any rate--hikers should get to know their own reaction to walking
in the heat.

	Another thing I have learned over the years is that my resting body
temperature is a little lower than what is considered "normal" (98.2
as opposed to 98.6)--this has helped me enduring the heat when
backpacking. Convey my greetings to Elderly Ellen.

	--Fireweed