[pct-l] REI Heads-up

Michael Badger mbad at mbadger.com
Tue Mar 19 12:23:11 CDT 2013

Hey Everyone,

I just decided to do a thru-hike of the PCT this year a few days ago, so
this is my first (and probably not last!) message to this list.

In my gear hunting yesterday, I was at REI and was told two things I
thought may be useful.  First, they will be sending out a members 20% off
coupon on Friday 3/23.  Since I was about to buy a Big Agnes Copper Spur
UL1 at $349, this was good news for me. If you have any items you are going
to buy from there and are a member, you probably want to wait till Friday.

Second, I was returning an item that I had bought in 2010. It had been used
once and I wasn't happy with it (broken part the first time taking it out).
Knowing about their policy, I had been lazy and let it sit in my closet
until now. Figured it was like a store credit at REI when I needed it, so
didn't bother taking it in.  Plus I live in NYC and at the time there
wasn't an REI in the city. The employee there did take it back for me, but
he warned me that they had just had a staff meeting that REI was going to
soon be updating their return policy - and that there will likely soon be a
limit to how much time can pass for an item to be eligible for return. I
know that the amazing return policy is part of why a lot of us shop there,
so thought that info might be helpful to some of you.

Thanks for all the great info on this list by the way. It is so helpful for
getting everything together last minute like I am!

-Badger