[pct-l] Wood stove on PCT

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Mar 20 19:17:51 CDT 2013

I used one up until Big Bear. I didn't like it. There's no trouble
finding enough little sticks, but it's a pain in the butt to
constantly feed sticks into it. It's hot feeding sticks into it and
it's already hot outside so it's a big pain to be sitting next to
this hot stove tending the fire. It's smelly with all the smoke. The
wood is full of resin and you get really sticky goo on the bottom of
your pot so you have to cover your pot in something that won't get
hopelessly stuck to the goo so that you can protect your other gear.
It's also a fire hazard, especially dealing with the ash and embers.
It's very windy in So Cal. I had a Sierra Zip stove and that thing is
really bulky. Not sure that's the same with the bushbuddy.