[pct-l] Current info from Campo to Mt. Laguna

Nikki Eddy nikkieddy at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 21 10:08:27 CDT 2013

Howdy hikers,
Just returned from a brief PCT hike (Miles 1-43) and thought I'd share out a couple of things that may help you in the beginning:

1) Noted "streams" are flowing, but doesn't look like the smaller sources will be around much longer if it gets a bit hotter and drier.

2) No water at Hauser Creek AND as a lone hiker I don't recommend camping there. Super sketchy with a zillion border patrol (one told me he'd been "tracking me" and I had set off some kind of alert/trigger some miles back...he asked to see my hiking shoes). Also, there was more sketchy civilian activity there too, guys on dirtbikes late at night, etc. Not a good scene. Slept with my baby Swiss Army knife in my hand haha! I actually saw border patrol the whole time, even outside Burnt Rancheria campground. I'm not trying to start a political email firestorm here (resist the urge people), but the militarization of nature is tragic, regardless of where you stand on immigration issues. :-(

3) Ticks galore! Seriously.

4) I'm new to So Cal hiking, as I grew up in Siskiyou and Humboldt Counties...if this area is new to you too, you're gonna love it. The desert is so beautiful, magical, brutal, and wild. Can't wait for more!

Hope you all have a fabulous and safe hike! Much love!

Nikki

Sent from my iPhone