[pct-l] Leaving pets

Kristin Hamann aggie03.kh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 11:55:33 CDT 2013

I recommend that anyone taking a dog on the PCT see their vet prior to the
trip to pick up some metronidazole, Panacur, and Cerenia, or at least
metronidazole (the Panacur and Cerenia will be expensive, around $80-100/ea
for a large dog) and understand the dosing and indications for using them.
 The metronidazole your vet prescribes your dog is actually a human product
used off label in your dog.  If you end up picking up these medications in
Mexico to "self-prescribe" please email me your dog's age and weight and I
will give you a dose.  Metronidazole toxicity is ugly (seizures and
vestibular disease).

Watch their hydration by making sure their gums are moist/slimey and not
tacky/sticky.  If they are tacky they have lost 5% of their body weight in
dehydration (for a 75# dog that means they need a half gallon of fluids).
 I would also carry a thermometer to check for heat stroke and fever,
especially if your dog seems to be down in the dumps (normal rectal temp is
100-102), any digital thermometer is fine but I would get a fast one and
carry a water based lubricant to be kinder to their heiny.

You can also talk to your vet about Certifect which is a new product from
the makers of Frontline that detaches ticks faster than Frontline.
 Advantix is pretty good, too, also for mosquitos.  Use OTC products at
your own peril - I see many cases of toxicity with permethrin/pymethrin
type products especially if not used as labeled, and they do not work.
 Ticks carry diseases and from what I hear they are bad this year.  There
is heartworm disease in some of the regions you will travel through,
especially northern CA and southern OR (see map below).  Heartgard plus
will give you the added benefit of protecting against intestinal parasites.

http://www.heartwormsociety.org/download/Incidence-Map-2010.pdf

When you go home if your dog gets sick, even if it's a year or more from
now, tell them you were in Southern CA.  There are regional differences in
diseases, and your vet may not consider things like Cocciomycoides if they
do not know the travel history.

Lastly, I'm sure others will have their own opinions about dogs on the
trail.  As a dog lover I would also hope that anyone hiking with dogs
respects that not everyone's dog is as friendly towards people or other
dogs as yours may be.  I see injuries from dogs attacking each other on a
regular basis, and once repaired a nasty laceration on a dog that was cut
by a hunter while out hiking off leash.  The dog happened to be an
extremely friendly pit bull, but when he ran up to the hunter the hunter
got scared and reacted in defense.  I'm not saying what the hunter did was
right, but for the safety of your dog and other hikers I would recommend
keeping them restrained.  If your dog is known to be aggressive towards
dogs or people he/she should definitely be restrained.  Don't want to see
any puppy injuries on the trail :-D

Cheers and safe travels!
Dr. k