[pct-l] Snow Questions for 2007 Alumni

BF playswmatches at punk.net
Fri Mar 22 11:47:05 CDT 2013

With the California Snow Water Graph now sloping downward, in a trajectory
very similar to that of the winter of '06/'07, I have a couple of
questions for those that hiked the PCT in 2007:

With the benefit of experience would you say that snow walking gear is
necessary or not needed in the High Sierras or the Cascades?  If so, what
style would handle the job in your opinion?   When considering safety vs.
speed what do you think is the wisest gear plan for those area when it
comes to those areas?

Since it may matter: I'm 5'10" at 160 pounds, and at my current level of
training I'm hiking 21 miles in 7 hours with a 27-pound pack, but will
probably be hiking through those areas with a 40 pounds on my back.

Thanks,
-BF