[pct-l] White Gas, Meals, KO, Postage, Canada

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Mar 22 19:29:12 CDT 2013

On Mar 22, 2013, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> From: Lindsay Blythe <lindsay_b4 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [pct-l] White Gas, Meals, KO, Postage, Canada
>
> Hey all,
>
> I have a few questions, pardon my ignorance.?
>
> 1. About how much white gas do you go through on a Whisperlite
> during the whole trail? Is it more efficient to use a smaller stove
> or Jetboil?
You'd probably have a better time with a jetboil. I can't tell you
how much fuel you will need though.

> 2. Does anyone have some suggestions on diet? I have no
> restrictions, I'm just wondering how to break up the monotony and
> which foods are best preserved.
Look up Dicentra's website for ideas. http://onepanwonders.com Also
look for the freezer bag cooking website. Don't know the URL offhand.
Lotta people just eat Knorr pasta and rice sides with tuna packets
added, poptarts, top ramen, cheese, peanut butter and tortillas,
stuff like that.

> 3. Is a May 9th kick off way too late??
No.

> 4. I've heard that you can forward packages to yourself and this is
> cheaper. Can you pay for postage in advance this way? Is it easier
> to have someone send your packages?
You can shop periodically on the trail and mail to yourself up the
trail from whatever town you do the shopping. It's extra work in town
but does not rely on another person back at home. Get Yogi's PCT
guidebook for lists of things like towns and what kinds of services
they have.

> 5. I don't have a passport, but I can bring a copy of my birth
> certificate, will they let me back in to the US?
Hell no. If you can't get a passport you will have to turn around and
walk out somewhere. It's not uncommon for some people to do this.
Maybe someone will share the alternatives for you. I think one exit
is via a lake 20 miles or so south of the border. Another is back at
Hart's Pass.