[pct-l] Arch pain

Kristin Hamann aggie03.kh at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 20:02:05 CDT 2013

I had plantar fasciitis in college from waiting tables.  It sucked.  My
tips weren't enough to cover my medical bills ;-(  Tried custom fitted
insoles; the arch support helped my pain because it transferred more weight
to my arch compared to my heel.  But didn't eliminate the problem.  Tried
acupuncture.  I do believe acupuncture works for some things, but didn't
work for this!  Finally got steroid injections which cured it.
I am definitely going to have to check out the book!  The gait described in
the emails I have seen sounds similar to the gait described by Kenneth Good
in Into the Heart, a book about his experiences living with the Yanomami
tribe. I recently switched to minimalist running shoes to strengthen my
feet and ankles, and have been surprised to not be experiencing pain or
injuries.  I can definitely feel that it works my muscles differently.
While the same thing does not work for everyone, can those switching to
more minimalist shoes comment on how they prefer to size them for a
thru-hike?  I normally go up 1 to 1 1/2 sizes from my normal shoe size for
longer hikes/backpacking trips, and this is my first thru-hike.  Also, what
types of socks do you find work best?

Cheers!