[pct-l] Dehydrating veggies

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 02:09:13 CDT 2013

I just dry them straight up without steaming or blanching, but if you do
that first they may retain more of their color as you stop the enzymatic
actions going on in the plant.  But I like them just dried without all the
fuss and they lasted fine.  Kale sounds like a great thing to dry.
 Carrots, butternut squash, celery, beets, corn, seaweed, mushrooms and
just about anything I tried was delicious months later on trail.  I get
them in big bags at Costco or at my local ethnic markets to save on the
cost.  Right now a lot of greens are lush in California and I picked some
of the less strong tasting mustards and radishes.  Chard and collards also
grow wild around here and both are good.  Last year Why Not dried a lot of
cabbage and I traded stuff for that it was so delicious.  In the veggie
department, nothing turned out badly.

Have fun!

Shroomer