[pct-l] Wood stove on PCT

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 25 15:34:08 CDT 2013

"Enforcement tends to see many shades of gray.  If you use good dose of
common sense, you're utterly safe, and practice the intent of the rules,
you'll probably be fine even if a ranger does find you."

I would not be too sure of that now-a-days.  With 30k+ (Yes. Thirty-thousand) people having to evacuate CO Sprgs last summer due to a wild fire,
backcountry officials are less  inclined to look the other way.  At least in Colorado.  Heck, a town council person was fined due to his interpretation
that a charcoal grill would be OK. (Sorry, I could not find the article) The officials meant business last year.

As I said before -  One thing to debate online. Another thing to take a chance that a backcountry ranger will be as sympathetic to your interpretation of the bans.

I love campfires. I love the simplicity on an alcohol stove.

But after seeing a wildfire and a possible evac situation for my close friends quite literally from my deck, ( http://twitpic.com/a0werv)
I am more inclined to follow backcountry regs considering fires and camping stoves and not just my interpretation.

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.twitter.com/pmagsco
http://www.facebook.com/pmags