[pct-l] Wheat-free, dairy-free dinners

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 25 17:20:36 CDT 2013

Erin wrote:
...However, I was recently diagnosed with
dairy and wheat sensitivities (nooooo!), making my diet of cheezits, top
ramen, mac and cheese, cheesy pasta, and poptarts with nido entirely
unfeasible. I think I can adjust for breakfast and lunch, but I am pretty
stumped on what to eat for dinner. Does anyone have dairy and wheat free
dinner ideas? I'm preferably looking for stuff that is available in your
average trail grocery, so I can stick with the mail myself less stuff plan. I was also thinking that if I do have to mail myself stuff, just sending
dinners, like rice pasta, dairy free instant mashed potatoes, and instant
grits, might be the way to go. But for the love of flavor, I'd really like
to mix it up.
My suggestion:

Well, you didn't mention that rice and beans are out.  Ditto meat.  I'd suggest you learn what options are out there using these staples (examples I can think of include basic rice n red beans, rice sides in lieu of pasta sides, bean soups, chilli, etc).  Corn is another option (especially corn tortillas & pastas).  Head on down to the local market, read some labels, buy some stuff and try it out.

Canned and foil pack meats add lots of flavor and complete protein, although they're expensive and heavy on a calories per ounce basis.

You could potentially supplement basics you buy along the way with dehydrated bulk veggies you get sent to you to kick up the flavor and variety.

Sauces and seasonings can add a lot of variety to the same basic staple ingredients and are easily available in even modest sized stores.

Pure dried coconut milk might be available at some stores along the way.  It can be used to great effect for hiker food (verify you're getting the pure stuff - some varieties are cut with cows milk).