[pct-l] Reasonable mileage expectation?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Mar 25 20:32:43 CDT 2013

Good evening, Bill,

Beginning your hike around Whitewater River, you’ll face considerable net
up-grade for quite a few miles – in fact, all the way up to Mission Springs
Camp where it tends to level off for a while.  How do you hike in the heat?
There have been fires in the lower part of Whitewater Canyon, and the
resulting loss of shade – plus its being in a canyon -- makes for rather
hot marching for miles.  I wouldn’t be too ambitious for mileage in that
section, but up top is better. From there it’s net downgrade all the way to
Cajon Junction.  Then – guess what? – it’s upgrade again.  Repeat endlessly
until Monument-78.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/