[pct-l] Wheat-free, dairy-free dinners

dicentra dicentragirl at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 26 09:33:57 CDT 2013

I think you are on the right track!  You're going to become an expert label reader! yay!

Pasta can be cooked ahead of time and then dehydrated to make it instant. Look for quinoa and rice pastas. The asian markets will have noodles made from mung beans and sweet potatoes.

Quinoa and all kinds of rices can also be made ahead and dehydrated.

Check the bulk bins of your local hippy store for powdered non-dairy milks (read the labels!  The powdered almond milk I buy contains dairy).  I've seen goats milk, rice milk, almond milk and soy milk.

I don't know where you live (I'm in Seattle, so I have TONS of food choices).  There are lots of gluten free crackers and cookies. Some of them even taste pretty good.  Trail bars can be made with gluten free flours (chickpea, quinoa) and packaged into the boxes you'll ship to yourself.

I would make the basics that you won't find on the trail (quinoa, rice pastas etc) and then suppliment with what you find in towns.  Don't bother shipping yourself jerky or tuna for example.

There's a couple more emails in my inbox on this, so I might have more to say... :)

~Dicentra

http://www.onepanwonders.com ~ Backcountry Cooking at its Finest
http://www.freewebs.com/dicentra