[pct-l] Side trips

Josie josie1066 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 09:06:41 CDT 2013

Thanks for all your comments---I just re-read my journal entry for that day and realized it was not from Mt Thielsen that i had this view. I would still recommend the side trip-- the last 80 feet or so (and no, I ‘m not certain that number is correct!) is steep, requiring hand and foot-holds in places, but once you get to the top, it’s quite thrilling to stand there on a fairly small patch of land. It may only be 9,000+ feet but the view is spectacular.

The place I looked north along the line of Cascades was from South Sister, another side trip well worth the views.  The beauty of the Cascades is that for the most part they stand alone in a magnificent line that defines the journey--you are always looking ahead to the next mountain rising like a beacon ahead to mark your way and at your back is the mountain you left behind.

Jo