[pct-l] Leave No Trace - okay to bury TP?

Sir Mixalot atetuna at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 03:47:38 CDT 2013

That would be an effective solution if everyone, literally everyone, packed
out their WAG bags.  Even on the short length of trail on Mount Whitney,
and convenient disposal sites, people leave their WAG bags behind.  Go
check out local hiking trails with conveniently located trash bins and
you'll see doggie bags along the trail.  These are short trails, and people
can't be bothered to carry that waste to a trash bin.

Packing out your own waste isn't a policy than can be enforced well
throughout the PCT.  Instead of having bits of TP here and there that
rarely get dug up and will eventually break down on their own, there would
be countless baggies that are left on the surface that will biograde slowly
enough to still be there until some volunteer carries it out...although the
closure is likely to fail much sooner, so it'll end up being a nasty empty
plastic bag blowing around the mountains.  I do some trail work
occasionally, but full or empty, I'm not carrying used WAG bags out.  TP is
easily reburied.

If you want to pack your waste out, I commend you and everyone that does
that.