[pct-l] Wheat-free, dairy-free dinners

Kristin Hamann aggie03.kh at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 09:48:54 CDT 2013

Lots of great suggestions!  One common suggestion I have seen is using
Asian markets.  I personally have shopped at these a lot in the past and
loved their products.  However, I have cut back in the recent years and if
you have food sensitivities you may also want to shop at Asian markets with
caution.  The reason is that there have been many problems with counterfeit
or adulterated products from China. There was a major pet food recall where
melamine was being used to boost the protein content of foods based on
nitrogen measurements.  Not only did the products not contain the label
amount for protein, but many pets died of acute renal failure from the
combination of melamine and cyanuric acid.  There were also products
labeled as "rice gluten" that actually contained "wheat gluten," which is a
big problem if you are wheat intolerant!  I attached a wikipedia article
for you.  I have since tried to avoid products made in China for myself and
my furry 4-legged family.
If you are dairy intolerant consider avocados, nuts, and peanut butter as
an alternate protein and fat source.  Beans, lentils, and quinoa are other
good protein sources.  Slab on some olive oil and you've got your fat and
calories.
With your diet restrictions you may need to be realistic about re-stocking
on the trail.  I am a first-time PCT thru-hiker this Spring, but would
expect that things like mashed potatoes, rice, and oatmeal (look out for
dairy in flavored instant) will probably be readily available at small
grocery stores or even gas stations.  You will probably be able to locate
more specialty items like quinoa, gluten-free pasta, dried non-dairy milk,
shiratake noodles (soy based), etc. in large grocery stores or health food
stores.  But I would recommend identifying areas where you will need to
have your carbs shipped to you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_adulteration_in_China