[pct-l] Section D

Andrea Harrison andylouharrison at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 27 11:17:05 CDT 2013

I just finished hiking Islip Saddle to Soledad Canyon Road in Section D. Water is very scarce. In the upper secions (before Cloudburst Summit) there are still running streams and some few patches of snow for water resupply, but after Cloudburst there is only one spring (Fountainhead Spring at mile 411 on Halfmiles maps) with water. The water there was just a trickle. We were able to get water at Millcreek from the forest rangers/firemen, but the water out of the tap is not potable. They said they were working on it and it should be OK within the month. They just gave us small bottles of bottled water - as many as we needed to fill our bladders, but they closed up the station at about 3:30. So, had we not arrived there prior to that, we might have tried to fill up our bladders from the hose and who knows. At any rate, if you are hiking thru there within the next few weeks, might be a good idea to plan to arrive at Millcreek before 3PM. From Millcreek to North Fork Ranger station there is no water. Halfmile, and everybody else has a reliable spring about 2 miles past Messenger Flats at mile 432 (Halfmile) near Moody road - that spring is no longer in existence. So stock up for 18 miles. Trail Gorillas have done a good job on the poodle dog bush on the trail, but it is rampant everywhere. We avoided any problems, but again stay on the trail. Other than that, enjoy and safe hiking.Trail Sampler and Smiles