[pct-l] OTC meds for pets

Kristin Hamann aggie03.kh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 20:30:24 CDT 2013

few comments on OTC medications in dogs.  DO NOT GIVE YOUR DOG
ADVIL/IBUPROFEN OR ALLEVE/NAPROXEN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!  They can
cause fatal GI bleeding, kidney failure, and liver failure.  I do not
recommend giving Aspirin, Tylenol, or Pepto Bismol to your dog either
unless advised by your vet, as they are not very effective and have a lower
safety threshold in dogs.  DO NOT GIVE THESE MEDICATIONS TO CATS UNDER ANY
CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!  I would also avoid any doggie NSAIDs
(Rimadyl/carprofen/vetprofen, Deramax, or Previcox) you may have been
previously prescribed if your dog is dehydrated or not eating.  In
dehydrated dogs they can cause kidney failure.  NSAIDs have a much lower
safety threshold in dogs than in people.  If you have been previously
prescribed tramadol for pain it is pretty safe, just follow your vet's
dosing instructions.  I would also carry Benadryl (1 mg/lb not to exceed 50
mg total dose); so a 25lb dog would get 25 mg, a 50lb dog would get 50 mg,
and a 100lb dog would get 50 mg.  Round down if unsure.  Make sure there
are no other ingredients besides diphenhydramine, and if it is a liquid
check the label for artificial sweeteners such as xylitol, which is toxic
to dogs.

Dr. k