[pct-l] Mosquitos

lilacs007 at yahoo.com lilacs007 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 29 10:05:40 CDT 2013

What's the spray for jerks called?
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

-----Original Message-----
From: CHUCK CHELIN <steeleye at wildblue.net>
Sender: pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 07:58:47
To: PCT listserve<pct-l at backcountry.net>
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Mosquitos

Good morning, Brett,

The options for dealing with mosquitoes are limited:

      1)  Try to adapt to the inevitability by keeping the whinny little
varmints at arm’s reach with DEET and nets.  You’ll be frustrated,
aggravated, and in insecure the entire time, but you will at least be
(mostly) bite-free.

2  2)  Try to tolerate their inevitability by relaxing behind the DEET and
nets.  Eventually they can be tuned-out.  I find it helpful that I have
high-frequency hearing loss, so I rarely hear them.

3   3)  Accept the lack of ability to adapt or tolerate the critters, and
just stay off any portion of the trail known – or suspected -- to be a
problem.  Unfortunately, that portion is a high percentage of the PCT
during thru-hiking season.

That thought same process applies to other difficulties along the trail
such as ticks, heat, dust, cold, snowpack, wind, glaring sun, fog, rain,
rough trail tread, lack of water, excessive water, and jerks.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 11:50 PM, Brett Kenney <tribalattorney at gmail.com>wrote:

> I hate, hate, hate mosquitos.  How do you deal with them on the trail?
>  DEET?  Mesh head cover?

To unsubcribe, or change options visit: