[pct-l] Desert hiking techniques

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Wed May 1 11:58:17 CDT 2013

Definitely. The path to healthy feet is changing your socks on a regular
basis. Clean (often only rinsed and dried) socks make a lot of difference
when trying to avoiding blisters and other foot problems.

I've found that the following schedule works very well on both the PCT and
CT:

Hiking mostly level or uphill - change every 2 hours

Hiking mostly downhill - change every hour (more friction and abrasion on
your soles going down. Moisture + abrasion = heat = blisters)

For the small amount of desert hiking I've done ( Mojave to Walker Pass), I
changed hourly.

Rinsing and foot washing is done whenever possible, but mostly I just let
the used socks dry on my pack as I walked. My shoes and socks come off at
every break, allowing my feet to air dry and get a short massage/inspection.
Bandana-wiping occurs if there's no time for air drying. My feet and my
socks get washed daily with soap and rinsed (well away from water sources).

I also carry a 3rd pair of socks which is dedicated to sleeping. It is so
nice to crawl into bed with (relatively) clean socks to help keep my feet
warm (and the bag less funky).