[pct-l] what did you have for dinner?

David Hough on pct-l pcnst2001 at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 1 19:16:11 CDT 2013

At ADZPCTKO the class of 2012 dvd contained a moving tribute to a famous
scene from Blazing Saddles, except "beans" were translated to "Mountain
House."

It did get me to wondering though, has anybody ever come up with an
otherwise satisfactory diet regimen that minimized rather than maximized
gas production when hiking long distances every day at altitude?    At
least in my case, diet doesn't seem to matter much as far as quantity goes,
but some foods are more pungent than others.

I made the mistake of driving up to Horseshoe Meadows once, accepting a
free beer from another hiker going home, and then charging up
trail Pass and then south along the PCT until nightfall.    Something
about the combination of all circumstances made me glad I was alone, and
further I wished I could escape from myself.    But it was too cold not
to sleep in a tent.

I'm not talking about illness here - that's a whole other story.
Giardiasis in particular is notorious.