[pct-l] Food and calories

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon May 6 18:47:02 CDT 2013

Calories on the trail aren't an issue for everyone. Maybe I'm the
only person in the history of the trail to have to eventually watch
what I ate, I don't know, but I lost a little weight at first both
times I went out but not to any measure did I become thin. I probably
remained the fattest girl on the trail long after the actual fattest
girls became thin. Then toward the end of my 2nd hike, I was starting
to gain the weight back on the trail.

So, in the event that I have a "secret" but don't realize it, my
eating strategy was tons of simple carbohydrates with industrially-
produced high-Omega-6 seed oils (aka, junk food), minimal protein,
almost no "real food" and chowing down extra hard on breakfast foods
when in town (e.g. pancake sandwiches.)

Nasty side effect include: unquenchable hunger, chronic inflammation
during and post hike, extremely rapid weight gain post hike despite
not continuing to eat this way, possible initial steps toward
metabolic syndrome. Fixed it pretty well with a paleo diet and lots
of weight lifting.