[pct-l] re Valley Fever

be hope bh.csuchico at gmail.com
Tue May 7 12:59:55 CDT 2013

 Eric, thank you very much for your post.

Last year I received an email from Richard Skaggs @ Hikertown asking if I
could recommend a doctor specializing in Valley Fever as a number of people
in Neenach had unexpectedly come down with the disease. I recommended that
he contact Dr. Larry C. in Ridgecrest and go from there. In my email reply
to Richard I included the following question:

“do you and your neighbors think the increased incident of Valley Fever in
Neenach is related to the dust generated by the construction activity for
the new wind turbine and photovoltaic farms?”

His answer: “Yes.”

>From the link provided by Eric to the article, a few things caught my eye:

“. . . state officials began investigating an outbreak in February that
sickened 28 workers at two solar power plants under construction in San
Luis Obispo County.”

“Newcomers and visitors passing through the region may also be more
susceptible.”

Hmmmmm. . . hikers are both  visitors and “newcomers”

Hopefully someone in the medical community knows more about Valley Fever in
Neenach and those in the Western Antelope Valley receive treatment and are
able to cope with this debilitating disease. Perhaps the energy holding
company entities operating in the Valley already argue that there is no
scientific proof that they caused the problem.

Will a PCTer come down with this disease this year?

be hope

>From: Eric Lee <saintgimp at hotmail.com>

> Subject: [pct-l] Valley Fever

>This was an interesting article about valley fever in California. Not sure

>how much of an issue it is in the areas the PCT traverses:

http://news.yahoo.com/fever-hits-thousands-parched-west-farm-region-20230448
9.htm