[pct-l] Barrel Springs Campfire

Sean Nordeen sean.nordeen at gmail.com
Wed May 8 20:47:17 CDT 2013

>>*Monday was a rainy, windy and cold day - north half San Felipe Hills. A few had no rain gear and were soaked >when reaching Barrel Springs.*
>Really? People are heading into the mountains in spring with no rain gear? Are they expecting gore-tex caches now?

This happens every year as people still assume it never rains in SoCal
and its all desert.  When I hiked in 2009, I met someone who had
mailed their rain gear, shelter and packcover/liner ahead.  Needless
to say all of their stuff was soaked (including sleeping bag) and they
were hypothermic.  Fortunately were driven out by some fishermen they
encountered near a road.  You hear stories like this every year so it
no longer surprises me.

-Miner