[pct-l] Personal stories about life before the PCT

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu May 9 19:13:59 CDT 2013

Ha ha you sound like me (I'm Piper).

Not 6 figures, though, but I was working at a good dot-com company.
It wasn't a good fit. I thought maybe I didn't like my career. I gave
notice 6 weeks before I set off. I really didn't think it through or
anything. I thought I needed to try a new career path so I was taking
a career class based on a book titled Callings: Finding and Following
an Authentic Life. One day in the class I realized I had 2 years
worth of money in the bank. I could go hike the PCT right now if I
wanted to. I gave notice the next Monday and the trail 6 weeks later.

Good luck. Doing the hike is a good idea but be open to the
possibility it won't actually help you figure out where to go next.
It makes a big difference, though, because after you get to Canada
you have something nobody can take away.

Hiking the trail showed me there is a hole in the fence and I can
crawl through it any time. Trading the only thing on earth you truly
own (your time) for lots of money is not always a fair trade. There
is more to life than money.

By the way, I'm doing the same career now that I was doing before,
but I'm at a university now and the atmosphere is different. The pay
is less but the trade-off is worth it.

Diane