[pct-l] C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E-S

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Fri May 10 19:34:09 CDT 2013

If you see someone lighting an illegal camp fire, take their picture (if
you can, get them and the fire in the same picture) and then turn them
in to the nearest Forest Service, National Park, or BLM office, as the
case may be. I am sick of hiking through burned out trail. I am
declaring war on all campfires. If I see anyone lighting one where they
are not allowed, they will be dealing with the legal consequences.
I-Beam -----Original Message----- From: pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net
Hollywood Sent: Friday, May 10, 2013 3:32 PM To: Dennis Phelan Cc: pct-l
at backcountry.net
<http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l> Subject: Re:
[pct-l] C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E-S I think that may not actually be the case. In
my observation last year, many hikers who do this are on the list and
read it regularly. However, their attitude is, "I'm an expert
outdoorsman, don't tell me what to do while I'm in the woods." This
defiant attitude is, IMO, what drives much of this behavior. When other
good-intentioned hikers ask them to stop lighting fires, these people
will say, F you, I do what I want in the woods. It's often surprising
who will take this tone and there is much respect to be lost on trail
for this. I was one of the last hikers into Belden last year in the
Chips fire. One hiker I spent a lot of time around and believed had
sound judgement chose to light a fire on a warm night across the valley
from the fire. The fire was so close that I decided to do a big day and
get out so I didn't get burned alive. The flames were so close I could
*hear* them. It was absolutely crazy that he did this and when I spoke
to him later, his response was that it was none of my business. We
didn't hike together again. My advice is to destroy cold fire rings when
you see them and [if you're a guy] pee on illegal/illogical fires.
Nobody likes sitting around a coal bed that is steaming with urine
stink. And people lighting fires won't respond to logic as we all hope
they would. On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Dennis Phelan
<dennis.phelan at gmail.com
 >/unfortunately I think you are preaching to the choir. The people who
/>/are doing this are not the same ones reading this listserve.
/>//>//>/On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 1:16 PM, Ann Marie <dbanmrkr at
yahoo.com <http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l>>
wrote: />//>/> It seems we have to keep repeating this message because
it is not /getting >/> through to the hikers: Please no campfires ! />/>
/>/> />/> We just learned that the 3rd gate area now has a campfire
ring, />/> showing multiple usages. This is new in the past week or so,
so this />/> year's />/hikers />/> are responsible for creating it. Not
only is this illegal there />/> (yes, it most certainly is !), but
campfires are illegal in most of />/> SoCal. There />/is />/> also a
local family nearby that had to evacuate very quickly last />/> year
because of a fire in that area. And they could smell the smoke />/> from
the />/> campfire(s) this year. How scary is that? It's also unethical
to put />/others />/> in danger just because you are too uncool to know
about and follow />/> the regulations already in place. />/> />/> />/>
Please use hiker peer pressure to stop these illegal campfires />/>
whenever you see them. The danger is very real this year, along the />/>
entire PCT />/too. /