[pct-l] Ultalight trekking pole recommendations, plz

Michael Irving michaeljirving at gmail.com
Sun May 12 15:33:37 CDT 2013

Carrot,

Love the blog...great writing. I saw you weren't using trekking poles. Think of them as lightening your load, not adding weight. Use them like cross-country skiing on the uphills. When it's really steep I even sometimes put both up on the hill at once to lug me up. On the flats they kind of just skip around only to be there when needed like a slip or twisted step. Going down you can lengthen them a bit to help take the banging off your legs going down. Use a length like downhill skiing on average (90 degrees at the elbow). A little longer on a long downhill. A little shorter on a long steep uphill. Stay away from twist-adjusting poles as they are notorious for breaking of the mechanism. I've read that poles can take off 15-20% of the load off your legs which is huge for long days. You can also ditch a trowel if you have one as it can double for that. Also can prop up tarps for shade. Almost most importantly they are awesome for stream crossing when you're hopping rocks or on narrow log bridges. You can cross "dry" at many more crossings that might not be doable without poles. Also good to spread the weight to minimize (not prevent) post holing.

Give it a consideration! I'd never go back!

-GoalTech from Portland

PS I'm only a section hiker so I don't technically qualify per your request. :-)