[pct-l] Ultalight trekking pole recommendations, plz

Jim Marco jdm27 at cornell.edu
Sun May 12 16:48:14 CDT 2013

Hey Carrot,
	I use homemade 4oz treking poles. They take roughly 20 minutes and $15 to make a pair of rugged, single piece poles that I used along the NFCT (~750mi), NPT (~130mi) and through the High Peaks area of NY. The blanks were the butt sections of a "dipping" pole. A 3/32" bolt/washer attaches the extra long strap, a second 3/32" bolt protrudes through the bottom for some grip. They easily handle ~200 pounds of weight.

No fuss about lengthening or shortening them, simply wrap the strap a few turns to lengthen the poles, straighten the straps out to shorten them. About 44" long, they make good tarp poles, too. You can pay yourself about $50/hr to make a pair, they are MUCH cheaper than buying special stuff (that is actually a bit weaker.)

His are rather elaborate...
(Note: you may need to join the group to see the file)
	My thoughts only . . .
		jdm