[pct-l] C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E-S / And the Mountain Bike problem

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sun May 12 21:35:51 CDT 2013

Hey Dan,

I respectfully disagree with your post - that discussion relating to illegal MB's on the PCT does not belong on the PCT-L list, that there are "appropriate venues for the discussion of bicycles on the PCT".
The PCT-L is where PCT users post and read posts relating, specifically, to the PCT. Where else would you suggest?  And why? Would you post on venues that PCT users are unlikely to see? Why?

You don't seem to be bothered by illegal MB's on the PCT - at least you would rather not have others discuss the problem, and suggest possible solutions to discourage the MB'ers. People on this forum
love the PCT and want to protect and preserve it. The PCT is a very special trail. As far as I know, it is the ONLY long trail in the west where wheels are not allowed. There are many, many, many multi-use
trails where bicycles are allowed. We have this one special, wonderful, trail where we can be away from mechanized means of travel. It is a place where equestrians, like myself, can expect to be free from
being exposed to the risks of mountain bikes and dirt bikes.  Yes, there are places on the PCT where they sneak on. Hikers and equestrians should photograph and report them whenever possible, just as
they should illegal campfires. The MB problem deserves discussion on this forum.

Now I have to wonder, Dan, just how familiar you are with the PCT. How much of it, how many miles, and which Sections have you actually hiked yourself?  If you have, you can't avoid having observed the trail damage that illegal MB"s have caused in some areas. Doesn't that bother you more than those who post about it on this forum?

MendoRider-hiker