[pct-l] C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E-S / And the Mountain Bike problem

Benjamin Grunbaum bengrunbaum at gmail.com
Mon May 13 00:55:11 CDT 2013

I have always found this discussion rather unproductive.  I mountain bike
now and then, hike frequently and would like to ride horses but have not
had more than a handful of opportunities.  The truth in this discussion is
that all hikers, bikers and horses all cause damage to the trail.  I have
helped with trail work, as many of you have, and have seen damage done by
all three.  I hiked 18.5 miles on the PCT by Idyllwild yesterday and saw
quite a few areas where people (most certainly hikers) had cut switchbacks.
 I saw areas where the narrow trail had collapsed on the downslope edge of
the footbed because of horses.  While I did not see any mountain bike
tracks yesterday, I can say that mountain bikers frequently ride up banks
that were not meant to be ridden up.  One thing that, I would venture to
say, almost everyone does is go around wet or muddy areas.  While the torn
up area is a sign that the trail could be improved, when you walk around
the areas you are creating more problems.  I must admit, I am guilty as
charged.  I have done less than ideal things for the trail in the process
of trying to enjoy myself and not getting unecessarily dirty.

More important than debating who causes the most damage, a argument which
will never end, is what we do, as individuals, about the damage that was
created?  There are many ways we can work to mitigate the negative effects
of the communities we consider ourselves a part of.  Donating time and
money being the main ways.
I will say that I have learned all three communities (hiking, biking and
equestrian) shed blood, sweat and tears and donate money to maintain trail.

Now, I must opine that, in general, allowing bikes on the PCT is a horrible
idea.  On the steep and narrow trail in areas such as the PCT around
Idyllwild, a very serious if not fatal injury would be likely should a fast
mountain biker come down such a trail.  It could only end badly.  Allowing
bikers on the PCT would be a very dangerous proposition.  While I do not
doubt members of the mountain biking community would help repair the PCT
were they aloud to ride on it, the negatives far outweigh the positives of
allowing Mountain bikes on the PCT.  There are plenty of other safer places
for mountain bikers to go where going so fast is unlikely to result in
grave injury or aggravating encounter for a hiker or equestrian.