[pct-l] Section for three weeks starting mid-August

Mark Hyams markhyams at hotmail.com
Tue May 14 09:11:06 CDT 2013

Bob, thanks for all of your detailed info. Your post about the bus over
Stevens Pass is exactly the kind of "insider" info I'm looking for.  Thanks
so much!  I wasn't sure how much info about myself to post, and I was more
interested in hearing what people would do if they had that time span to
hike three weeks of the PCT.  Having said that, you are right, more info
would be helpful.

Right now, three weeks is just a rough time-frame, that may include travel
to and from the trail.  We'd be arriving by air, so access via public
transit is important, although my mom lives in Sacramento, cousin in
Eugene, and aunt in Burlington (90 miles north of Seattle) so there are
options for relatives to give us rides.

Doug mentioned O'Dell Lake to Columbia River.  Getting to O'Dell, is that
hard?  I could have my Eugene cousin drive us, or we could take Amtrak to
Chemult and hitch.  Would that be a hard hitch?  What's the best way to get
back to Portland from where the PCT hits the Columbia River?

Oh, and "us" is me and my wife.  We'll be coming from two months of living
and working in Boulder, CO, where we'll have time for training hikes, but
no real backpacks longer than one night.

Also, where, on average, will the thru-hikers be mid-August to early
September?

Mark