[pct-l] Mountain Bike Posts

Benjamin Grunbaum bengrunbaum at gmail.com
Tue May 14 15:34:48 CDT 2013

I would interpret the requested ban on advocating for mountain bike use on
the PCT differently.  As anyone who reads most of the comments on here
would notice there is a lot of disagreement about anything from footwear to
hiking poles to water caches and to the level of experience and the skills
one should have before embarking on such a journey.  The list goes on and
on.

I would argue that those who have there "head in the sand" are those that
do not seem to understand the history of the PCT and how it was created.
 At the PCT kickoff this year, there was a presenter who was one of many
boys from the YMCA and boy scouts whom cumulatively hiked from Mexico to
Canada in order to prove that it could be done.  It was very inspirational.
 The PCT was built because of, by, and for the hiking community.  It has
been maintained and improved by the hiking and equestrian community. The
mountain biker community has the job of convincing they should be allowed
on the trail if, and only if, they are aloud to do so.  Trying to force
someone to accept your side will never help your cause.  I ride mountain
bikes too and you are only making me dislike the aggressive tactics used by
the mountain biking community more.  I volunteered to do some trail work
with the IMBA a couple weeks ago but I may reconsider.  I will ask them if
they encourage such tactics before I do so, however.  The moderator, myself
and the vast majority of the people on this list have made it abundantly
clear they do not care to hear those arguments   The PCT is wonderful the
way it is and is always improving due to the volunteers and the financial
generosity of many.   To expect those who enjoy the trail as it is right
now to just accept that mountain bikes should be allowed on the trail is
unreasonable.  You must convince us.  Unfortunately mountain bike advocates
have lost that privilege on this forum because of the tactics used by
members of their own community.  A period of reflection is in order.