[pct-l] Lassen over Memorial Day weekend?

Anthony Biegen ajbiegen at gmail.com
Sat May 18 12:36:25 CDT 2013

Hiker2009 wrote:

>Another exciting alternative (much longer drive though for me) would be
>Horseshoe Meadow to Walker Pass... I think somebody (Trailhacker?) already
>mentioned going through this section northbound, whence I infer that the
>trail and road are already passable to Horseshoe Meadow in this dry year.
>I think it was another dry Memorial Day that I did this section several
>years ago, and encountered only slight snowbanks. I did have the
>beautiful S Fork Kern bridge campsite to myself that time.

When I came through Horseshoe Meadow, the road was not open. So, yes I had
the trill of hiking down that road although I was able to beg a ride from
the nice people at the lavender farm, Julie and Cole for last horrible ten
miles into Lone Pine. They (not Julie and Cole but the road crew) were
still clearing slides from the road at that time. I understand that the
road was scheduled to be opened on the first of May so I would safely
assume that that happened since they were almost done clearing the road
when I slogged down it. There should be no snow at all at this time since
there was very little when I came through several weeks ago.

TrailHacker