[pct-l] Valley Fever and the PCT

Carol Klahn museumgirl at me.com
Sun May 19 19:33:38 CDT 2013

Hello, all. I'm Muse, and I'm new here. I am in training to thru-hike the PCT. I hope to be part of the class of 2015. Good luck to all of you, wherever you are in your journey.

Since I'm new, I don't know if this topic has been broached on the list or at the KO, but I wanted to make PCT hikers aware of a health concern present in the lower ⅔ of California, especially in the Bakersfield area. It is called Valley Fever, and it is the topic of a recent story on NPR. Link to transcript: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/05/13/181880987/cases-of-mysterious-valley-fever-rise-in-american-southwest?ft=3&f=111787346&sc=nl&cc=es-20130519.

Link to map showing the areas of outbreak: http://updates.clltopics.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/valley-fever-locations2.gif

Valley Fever is a fungal infection caused by breathing or otherwise ingesting Coccidioides immitis spores. Once rare, the infection has become widespread, due, it is thought, to the hot, dusty conditions more prevalent in the affected areas over the last few years. It is estimated that ⅓ of the citizens of the state of Arizona are infected with the spores. Those traveling in the orange and especially red areas of the map should be careful to avoid breathing in high concentrations of dust, in which the spores are present. When dust is thick, be careful to use your bandana or Buff, wear shades, and try not to mouth breathe. This will help to keep dust out of your nose, eyes, and mouth, where the spores can enter.

Here is the Mayo Clinic's description of the condition, as well as a short list of symptoms.
"Acute coccidioidomycosis (Valley Fever)

The initial, or acute, form of coccidioidomycosis is often mild, with few, if any, symptoms. When signs and symptoms do occur, they appear one to three weeks after exposure. They tend to resemble those of the flu, and can range from minor to severe:

	• Fever
	• Cough
	• Chest pain — varying from a mild feeling of constriction to intense pressure resembling a heart attack
	• Chills
	• Night sweats
	• Headache
	• Fatigue
	• Joint aches
	• Red, spotty rash"
(The entire entry can be found at http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/valley-fever/DS00695/DSECTION=symptoms.)

I'm not sending this to scare you guys, but to make you aware, since some of these symptoms sound a lot like other hiker maladies. If you do end up with these symptoms and having to go into town for medical attention, the possibility of a Valley Fever infection should be on your radar and reported to the physician. And if you are a hypochondriac, hike with a buddy who will snap you out of it!

Muse

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." Philo of Alexandria, c. 20 BCE – 50 CE