[pct-l] Siberian Husky on PCT

Jackie McDonnell yogihikes at gmail.com
Mon May 20 09:14:06 CDT 2013

*What we have going against us:* is that you say "I want it badly."
YOU want it.  That is what you have going against you.

The GREAT thing about thru-hiking with a dog is that it can carry your gun,
your bear canister, and your water through the desert.

But even better --- the dog is perfectly capable of letting you know when
it is too tired to walk any farther, when it needs to stop and tank up on
water, and when it needs to take a zero day.

Since your dog speaks English, it can tell you when its paws are sore from
walking mile after mile after mile on the hot desert sand in California or
on the sharp lava rock in Oregon.

Your dog has put a lot of thought into this thru-hike.  It won't be
all-of-a-sudden thrown into walking 20+miles a day, because it has trained
and is mentally and physically prepared for a thru-hike.  Best of all, it
certainly will tell you when it wants to stop.  It will NOT follow you
loyally day after day after day, until it is physically wiped out and its
paws are raw.  No, no, no, that won't happen to YOUR dog.  YOUR dog is
prepared for this.  YOU wouldn't do anything to harm your dog.

Live long and prosper.

Yogi
www.pcthandbook.com