[pct-l] Valley fever

Ellen Shopes igellenig at gmail.com
Thu May 23 10:34:15 CDT 2013

Interesting post Muse.  I wonder if the incidence is climbing or if there is just more awareness, prompting increased diagnosis.
The CDC quotes the incidence in dry SW climates as 30-60%.  When I first moved to AZ back in the 1980s, people warned me that I would get it.  If you spend any time outdoors, there is a lot of disturbed soil and blowing dust.  Within weeks, I got the usual symptoms, then went on to full recovery.  In the hospital where I work, it is not uncommon to see lung lesions/scars from Valley fever.  In elderly patients, a biopsy is sometimes done to confirm the diagnosis (and confirm that it is not cancer).
Probably a good thing to be aware of, so if a persistant illness develops, one can get prompt treatment.
No Butt
Sent from my iPad