[pct-l] Camping on Mount Whitney

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Mon May 27 11:07:18 CDT 2013

I've climbed Whitney about 4 times and each time the door was locked.  I
don't think camping up there is a good idea as they get electrical storms
up there with lightning strikes.  These usually occur in the afternoon so
it is recommended to summit before 2pm.  If you camp near the Guitar Lakes,
camp on the western side, farthest from Whitney as the Marmots are not as
bad over there.  On 3 occasions, I left my tent set up with everything
inside and slack packed to the summit and back with no problems.  This time
of year, the JMT has mosquitoes but they thin out above 10,000 ft. and
disappear entirely at 11,000 ft.  Bring a head net and treated clothing.
 Put Deet on your tushie as they will swarm when you stop to make
contributions to nature.  Mosquitoes will stay away while you are hiking
but when you stop for any reason they will attack.

Toga