[pct-l] Going Stoveless

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Mon May 27 14:11:52 CDT 2013

Durable containers - I have used a couple of small Nalgene containers (125 ml & 250 ml capacity), but I found that a cleaned-out plastic peanut butter jar weighs only 35 gm and has capacity of about 350 ml. The larger Nalgene weighs 65 gm, about an ounce more for less capacity.

Stoveless foods - Like Shroomer, I use dehydrated or freeze-dried meat and veggies (and cheese) and mix with a carb bought along the trail. The ones I have found that rehydrate best in cold water are instant mashed potatoes, black bean and refried bean mix (they're already seasoned, too), dried hummus mix, and stovetop stuffing. I have had less luck with instant rice and pasta, although folks who dehydrate their own rice and pasta dishes seems to have no problems with cold water rehydration. Just remember to start the next meal soaking early, 2 to 4 hours before time to eat.

Mango