[pct-l] Camping on Mount Whitney

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sun May 26 11:12:51 CDT 2013

[pct-l] Camping on Mount Whitney
I have camped on the top on many occasions, but always in the summer, never
at this time of the year.
Like chiefcowboy said, it can get very cold on the top...even in the summer.
I got stuck on the top in a snow storm in, August, a few years ago.
I would suggest a warmer bag or lots of cold weather gear and be prepared
to wear your cold weather gear in your 30 degree bag.
I also would suggest sleeping in the hut....much warmer.
And yes, the sunrise and the sunset are spectacular....bring a camera.

BTW....I would not recommend sleeping on top or in the hut during a thunder
storm.....highest point in the lower 48 with lightning rods would most
certainly
attract lightning.
I made that mistake a few years ago.
I was smart enough to leave the hut and seek shelter in a cave like crevis
about a 100 feet from the top, but dumb enough to stay on top during a
thunder
storm.
Boy,....you can't belief how loud thunder is until it strikes a few feet
from you.

Yes,...I have been known to do some dumb things.

JMT Reinhold
Your smart trail companion
chiefcowboy wrote:

My first trip to Mount Whitney my partner talked me into camping on top.
Windy (and thus noisy) and very cold.  There are a couple of rock rings that
afford SOME protection, but all in all it was not a pleasant experience.