[pct-l] Fwd: Re: NEW REVOLUTIONARY ULTRA LIGHT CONCEPT

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sun May 26 14:16:40 CDT 2013

Kristy wrote:
Having trouble cutting down my packweight...food seems to be the issue.
--------------------------------
Diane wrote:
....ha ha the dirty little secret about long distance hiking is there is
no such
thing as ultralight....
--------------------------------

Kristy,
Don't belief what Diane is saying.
There is such a thing as UL long distance hiking.
Scott Williamson, with 3 PCT speed records, the undeniable, unquestionable,
indisputable "King of the PCT" most certainly did it UL.
Speed records are always done "UL" not "Heavy Trucker".
If food is the weight problem, you need to concentrate on calorie dense
food.
Since fat contains about 255 calories/oz vs about 110 for protein and
carbohydrates, it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that it
will take a
lot less ounces to deliver the same number of calories if you
incorporate more
fat into your menu.
I know, the argument will be...FAT IS BAD...EAT MORE FRUITS & VEGGIES.
This is true for ordinary life,....but "thru-hiking" ain't ordinary life.
Fat is a "thru-hikers" best friend....that is why Scott Williamson and
many other
speed or hardcore hikers add oil to their meals...to boost the calories and
reduce pack weight.
Besides, you will burn all that fat, and more, anyhow.
Incorporate Macadamia Nuts in your menu,....the more the better.
At 200 calories/oz they are the most calorie dense food that I am aware off.
You would have to drink straight oil to beat that calorie count.
I relied heavy on Macadamia Nuts on my JMT speed hikes.
Besides, Macadamia nuts have a  high concentration of "monounsaturated
fats", which is the most benign of fats and does not affect your
cholesterol.

Now,....if you really want to go UL to the extreme, click the below link.

JMT Reinhold