[pct-l] hiker trail vs. pack trail on Goat Rocks

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Mon May 27 21:06:52 CDT 2013

I've been over the Packwood "Glacier" a couple times. Even when it's
foggy and rainy it's not very steep and an easy hike/traverse.  If it's
icy, katoola spikes would be good.  What's dicier is the scree field
just north of the glacier.  If there's any snow, or if the mud is a foot
deepso there's no footing, walking is hard...  And the knife edge has
some dicy sections if it's wetand muddy.  Going over the shoulder of Old
Snowy involves a decent amount of elevation gain that I never thought
necessary, unless I was going to the top for the view, which on a nice
day will have 20 or 30 people up there. Snowgrass flats trailhead is
only seven miles from the top of old snowy...

Jeff...