[pct-l] water on Hat Creek Rim

Charles Williams charlesnolie at yahoo.com
Tue May 28 17:19:53 CDT 2013

Yes, the steel signpost on the south side of the Lost Creek Canyon does, in fact, mark a trail that makes it all the way down to water.  It is a steep trail and has some rock scrambling to do to even get to the water.  It is not to the PCT standards and is definitely not passable by stock.

I just got back from a trail maintenance project in the Hat Creek District last week and we logged out virtually all the trail from Lassen National Park to Burney Falls State Park.  My friend Jim and I have adopted the section with the PCTA's help and will continue to do maintenance in the area in the coming years.  There were 65 blow downs last year in that area and no fewer than 130 this year.

Getting to the bottom of that trail was high on our priority list and Jim hiked to the spring during the trip last week.  I remember the disappointment of hiking the rim 20 years ago and hearing the water on that hot and dry section and not being able to get to it.

Are you up in that area frequently?  Any interest in joining us for some brushing work this summer or next?  We'd love some help...

Charles Williams